Saturday, July 20, 2013

California dreaming


The kids and I last year! Kamper and Happy photo cred. Abbs 
Hi readers.  I guess it has been a while since my last post. I have to say already that this is bound to be a unique experience in and of itself because I'm  composing this entirely from my phone in Paso Robles, CA.

Why am I in such a lovely place,  you ask? I have the fortune of being a zookeeper for a week, so to speak.  Okay, its not like THIS zoo, but you catch my drift.   The zoo is very small... 3 dogs, 3 grown cats, 8 kittens and any other animal that wanders to the front door. My mission? To ensure they do not starve, learn some things,  and have someone to play with every now and then. Can I just tell you, vacations are incredible things for the soul. Especially ones that include beach time and a house to myself for a week. Ready to hear of my adventures so far?
Travel Log: 
 WEDNESDAY I flew from sweltering Las Vegas airport to balmy Santa Maria, California and asked myself why on earth I ever left. Mike picked me up and headed straight to the shelter to pick up foster kittens. Then we headed for Cayucos; a small town so close to the beach, you can put your arm out the window and stick it in the glistening blue waves. We dined at Duckies- a beach front restaurant 500 yards away from the surf that prides themselves on freshness and deliciousness. I didn't hesitate to try their fish and chips and boy, it didn't disappoint.  The fish was so fresh and flaky and the fries were out of this world!  Bah.  SO. GOOD.  I'm definitely returning with one of the puppies and enjoying a whole day.

Thursday I became more familiar with the tasks at hand and spent one last day with Deb and Mike before they set out on their excursion to Mexico.  I also ventured to the bustling hive of  Walmart to buy some food so I wouldn't starve-I don't want to eat beans everyday. (Deb and Mike are vegan). It was a unique experience, as all ventures to the big box store generally are. A strange man in a ball cap and shades came up to me in the woman's section while looking for a swimsuit. (The hanger was around my neck to check the fit and I was looking down when this man seemed to appear out of the racks like a genie)  He looked in my cart ( I mean, REALLY LOOKED), gave me an exasperated look, and told me not to buy corn. Apparently Von's had them 5 for a dollar and I was crazy for thinking to buy them at Walmart. He then turned away and disappeared, probably to spread the bad corn omen elsewhere. To add to the strangeness, there was hardly any produce, everything was in refrigerated cases and they didn't have grocery bags. (Its a law in this county, apparently.)

Yesterday I awoke very early due to three furry alarm clocks and sat around wondering what on earth I was going to do with myself for a week alone. After flirting with the idea of being exceptionally lazy, eating junkfood all day, and editing and cleaning to pass the time,  I packed a bag and headed to Cambria for lunch on the beach. Oh, and if you've never been to Cambria, it's breathtaking. It's got blue pines and rolling golden hills on one side, a blue green beach on the other. Definitely worth the drive. (sorry for diverting)
 I hung out by the jagged rocks and tide pools for a bit as the waves crashed to and fro. I love watching the life flit around the pools and marveling at how small I am in the scheme of things. A couple of adorable harbor seals kept eyeing me suspiciously. I suspected they were plotting sneaky ways to take me with them to their underwater Seal Prince to become his new wife or baby seal trainer. They already managed to secretly kill my phone battery with their cute, intent gazes. They could have had a mind melting ray under those waves too and I could have said Sayōnara to civilization as we know it! So, to avoid possible underwater abduction, I jumped back in the pickup and cruised back to my favorite beach spot. I broke out my lunch, wrote letters, napped under the sun's warm rays, and tried to remember the crash of every wave. It was wonderful. I'm definitely spending another day in Cambria. Shopping is definitely on the list.
Yes. They really look like this. Seriously the cutest seals ever. 
 I got a bit roasted yesterday, (not to mention, the dogs beat me up this morning) so I'm taking it easy,  running a couple errands, cleaning things up and just hanging out with the kids today. Sunday is San Simeon Beach/pier with Happy . I'm super excited. I'm not reunited with human interaction until Thursday.I'll keep you updated on any other misadventures! Keep it real, readers!

Being silly at Mandy's. Ready to fly to paradise!


Kamper is adorable. When she sleeps. :) Naps are a favorite past time here.  




Super excited to have this amazing lady join me!  5 more days!

No comments:

Followers