Monday, February 14, 2011

Oh Valentine's Day

I honestly believe that my general feelings of animosity would not change even if i had a 'valentine' to share this day with. I don't wish to be cynical or anything, but hey. It's my nature, right? Every Valentine's feels like I waltzed into a free love parade. I hate that there has to be a day devoted to extravagance, heart shaped boxes, gooshy cards full of fluff, sex products and enough hideous stuffed animals to scare away any all the babies in Guatemala.
 Its sad that our country has to celebrate a NATIONAL holiday to remember to 'love' people. I hate that valentine's has turned into the 'cure all' day-That it doesn't matter if I'm a jerk all year, I can make it all up on Valentines. There is so much pressure on Valentines, to be significantly better than the year before, to put up more pomp, to give more romantic gifts.
Why does love have to be commercialized? I want a guy to bring me flowers because he saw them and thought of me, not because of a social pressure. Love (or its evil twin who often appears in incognito, Lust) shouldn't wait to be expressed one day of the year. We already have enough uh oh babies. (Not that I don't love them)  We've been blessed with a wonderfully short duration on this earth. If you love someone, don't wait until days like today to show someone that you do. I mean, by all means, if you were going to anyway and today just happens to be the day you express it, then good for you, but don't let today be the exception. I hope that your day is a good one, in remembrance of those that you do love. And for those without a special someone, Happy Independence day! Peace, Love and all that jazz.

2 comments:

Cody R. Eckman said...

Sorry, Heather, but I disagree wholeheartedly. For some (a lot) of people, it isn't about "remembering to love" or "putting aside a day to love" but just a nice, special occasion to go above and beyond that average doting and do something spectacular for someone that you find spectacular. It's a sweet little holiday to go a little further than average. I think occasions like that are necessary... It keeps things fresh and fun and wonderful. It can be refreshing to get outside of yourself and let that special someone (who should already know and be told frequently) that you care for them more than anything.

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you sister. I do have a Valentine, and...don't get me wrong I like that he gets me sweet things...but like you...I want to be remembered by someone I love because they just thought of me. Valentines day is what I call a "hallmark" holiday...all about making moola. yerp. :) Go girl :)

Followers