Friday, February 18, 2011

Up to my ears in a funk

No, readers, I'm not referring to a horrible, awful, no good smell that I'm submerged in. I'd probably go absolutely insane, shower for 100 days until I resembled your great great aunt Murial, and single handedly be responsible for the complete depletion of hot water in Southern Utah. I'm talking about the odd transition state that I happen to be in at the present moment.  However, this funk thing must be in the water, because nearly ALL of my friends seem to be in the same sort of 'off' mood and can't explain why.

Life has been pretty mediocre lately, to say the least. I feel like I'm a menace to society, like I'm not contributing anything to life, to the Christensen family, or to normal conversation. I have felt like the chapter in St. George is coming to a close and I need to branch out and try something new. So, I've been following my gut and looking for jobs elsewhere (out of state), but to no avail. I haven't really found anything that sits right. I mean, I could try something, but I kind of want a slight affirmation proving that moving clear across the country isn't a fool's errand. Boys are being idiots, all I want is to go on my mission and serve the Lord, but I'm afraid that's turning into a cure all and an outlet for my incredible restlessness. My mother is trying as hard as she can to get me to move up with her, classes start on the 22nd and I have to figure out whether or not I'm going to reside here in the mean time, or just leave. This sense of urgency doesn't ever seem to ebb.

 I've been told that I need to just life happen for once and let opportunities happen, but how can that be if I can't work for them? Every time I get in my car, it takes all that I have to not jump on the free way and drive to the beach...7 hours away. I've been taking a lot of road trips lately and it satiates the urge to run away for a little bit, but it keeps coming back. I've dyed my hair, cleaned things, watched exceptionally exciting movies, hung out with some of my favorite people...I just don't know. I'm trying not to think about it and experience every day the best I can, finding joy in the journey, but something isn't right. Ug. There's definitely something wrong with me. Most people don't feel guilty for finally taking a vacation from life, but its killing me. Suggestions? I'm thinking I may have to go skydiving, find a random man to marry, purchase that starfish I've always wanted or wait for another lead to manifest itself. Until then, readers, here's hoping that you aren't up to your ears in a funk (in either physical or emotional state).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Heather I love you! Thank you for voicing yourself in the amazing way that only you can! I laughed. I know exactly how you feel. Love you and thanks for being such an amazing friend!

Abbs said...

as Mam wisely says: everything will be ok in the end; if it's not ok, it's not the end. :) things'll get better!

Followers